Wednesday 8 June 2011

Make no mistake, we are artists. We are athletes. We are bobble-heads.

Hellcats has been cancelled!

Now, I know this show didn’t exactly have a lot of intellectual merit but it wasn’t trying to be smart. It was trying, and succeeding in my opinion, to be a fun, frivolous little snippet of T.V., perfect for those wanting to relax and switch off their brains. I liked this show, I mean, my favourite film is Bring it On! so this was always going to be right up my street. And that’s exactly the market it should have been aiming at.

As far as I’m aware, it was being shown on the right kind of channels (UK = MTV, US = The CW) and the ratings weren’t atrocious. As the series progressed, they fell but, by that point, the episodes were more serious in nature and had a lot less dancing cheerleaders flying around the screen.

I was really interested in the story, and with the whole series ending in such a cliffhanger, I’m quite disappointed I’m not going to see how it plays out. Thing is, any show like this is an aspirational one; people watch it because they want to emulate the characters on screen and seeing them do things you can’t do (flip, dance, fly ten foot in the air and land safely back on the ground) is all part of that. By making Hellcats like every other CW drama, they took away its main appeal and it became just a slightly sub-par teen drama.

I am definitely realising it takes a lot to get a show renewed. Last year, I got into Privileged, which then got cancelled, and this year it’s been Hellcats that’s got the axe. I’m not saying that either of them were perfect but they could at least finish up the endings of the seasons.

On a positive note however, the CW is FINALLY letting go of One Tree Hill. That show has been dead since Peyton and Lucas skipped town, now all that’s left to do is bury the rotting carcass.