Tuesday 12 April 2011

No one is looking for me. That’s the truth.


Entangled was picked up because of an intriguing blurb and, I’ll admit, a pretty cover, and I was looking forward to this teen mystery. Trapped in a room, with no idea how she got there, and encouraged to write down what’s happening, Grace begins to decipher her story. Problem is, as readers, the plot is entirely predictable from the beginning and the ‘twist’ at the end is more of a forgone conclusion. So as Grace figures out the root of all her problems, we’ve already sussed them out, called the psych ward, and had her thrown into therapy.

Clarke’s writing is well done; the problem here is such a basic plot. I’ve read a few reviews saying things like ‘I was on the edge of my seat!’ and the only thing I can say is, if you were, you’re obviously a little bit slow on the uptake. Clarke never makes any intention of hiding the outcome of the story from us, and as soon as Grace’s life starts to head downhill, it’s a struggle to keep reading.

It’s not that it’s a bad book. It’s fine. It’s just not exactly challenging. Now, I’ve made no secret of the fact that I enjoy reading teen fiction because, a lot of the time, it’s simpler and, because of that, more enjoyable. Thing is, simpler does not mean dumbed-down and, even though I wish it wasn’t, that’s exactly what Entangled is.

I didn’t hate it, even if it sounds like I did. Unfortunately, it just didn’t peak my interest once I’d got past the pretty pictures on the cover. I have no troubles with style, just please, next time, add a little substance in too.