Friday 25 March 2011

You’re a wintergirl, Lia-Lia, caught in between the worlds. You’re a ghost with a beating heart.

I recently read Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson, author of Speak. I always find books about anorexia strangely fascinating, ever since I was in my teens. The idea of girls who would voluntarily give up food astounded me and I was desperate to get inside their heads. One of the first books I read on the subject was The Best Little Girl In the World by Levenkron, and I’ve been hooked since then.

Wintergirls starts just as Lia, a seventeen year old anorexia sufferer, finds out her old best friend, Cassie, has died, alone, in a motel room. On the night she died, she called Lia thirty-three times. Lia didn’t pick up. And so continues Lia’s ongoing struggle to be thin. To beat Cassie. Even if it means losing everything else first.

Anderson is a pillar of troubled teen fiction and I adored this book, just as I did Speak. Lia’s obsession with food is enormous, driving her to tamper with the family scales, and pour washing up liquid down her own throat. I did love the book and truly have practically nothing bad to say about it. The only thing I possibly wanted was a little more explanation towards the title. It could have been that I simply missed it in my haste to finish the book but I felt that, although it was a great idea, it needed a little more expansion.

Like I said, only that tiny niggle. Otherwise, it was a book I thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend to many.